Monday, April 11, 2011

My Garden!

This year I really felt like I wanted to start a garden. There isn't anywhere to put a garden on the ground, but we have a large deck and that is now where my garden stands. This is my first attempt at square-foot gardening... or gardening in general. I tend to have a hard time keeping plants alive so I really hope it survives. It looks good so far. Here is how I did it:


First I built a 4x4 foot box out of wood. It's 6 inches high.
The I built my wooden grid and drilled drain holes in each square.
Then we mixed up our soil. 1/3 peet moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost.
Ready to plant. I made a couple extra tall boxes for my carrots and potatoes. (Tyler is blocking his eyes from the sun.)
Tyler is helping me plant some seeds. I could not have done this project with out Tyler and Donny's help.
All planted. We did some by seed and some by plant. We planted peppers, potatoes, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, corn, yellow crooked neck squash, carrots, green beans, cantaloupe, and strawberries. Sounds like a lot but it all fit in this little box.
Except the zucchini. I planted it in it's own pot. Because I didn't want it taking over my whole garden. I am going to try to grow it vertical... on this stick.
And here is it is all finished! Now just to watch it grow! Lets hope I have a green thumb.

Everything I learned about square-foot gardening I learned from squarefootgardening.org. It has a lot of info just on the website. You can also buy a book about it. If my garden fails that will probably be my next step. I'll keep you posted on how it does.







4 comments:

Jobi Niu said...

GOOD JOB!!! That looks GREAT! How cute is he helping you out? My boys would LOVE to help me with something like that.

Geoff and Bets said...

so do you leave it on the cinder blocks? or was it just up there so you didnt have to bend over your baby bump to plant?

Rob and Emmalee said...

it looks good Meg! makes me want to go out and garden!

Greg + Kristin said...

Meg your garden looks awesome!! That is on my to do list...but there seems to be so much on my list it probably won't get done until next year! I'm excited to see your garden grow!